Happy New Year Everybody

Hi everybody, it’s Heather.  I’m doing pretty well.  I’ve been out of the hospital for a little over a week now and I’m almost back to my old self (with a few exceptions, I’ll get into in a minute).

Before I go any further, though, let me just say that my family has ROCKED during this whole process.  Mom and Mel spent all 6 days in the hospital with me… camped out in my room.  Literally camped out.  They had everything but a tent set up.  I don’t remember much of the hospitalization (they kept me pretty incoherent most of the time), but I do remember constant coaxings from Mom and Mel for me to “take a sip” or “try to drink” at all times of the day and night. 

Here’s a pic of the set up for Mom and Mel.  Mel got the air mattress on the floor and Mom got the rock-hard window seat.



They really roughed it to take care of me.  Dad has been in charge of the kitties.  Lefty Lucy and Scioscia have adapted better than I would have thought to staying at Grandpa’s and he seems to be taking to them quite well.  Dad calls several times each day to update me on how they’re doing.  I think he’s actually starting to enjoy having them there, but he’ll probably never admit it.   I was unsure about how well they would do there, but I’ve been so touched by how hard Dad has tried to make them comfortable, now I can’t imagine them being anywhere else.

Now we get to Becka… Becka is my buddy.  She’s always been my Buddy and she would do anything for me.  She’s been staying with Mom and I and she anticipates anything I might need.  She’s been incredible.  She checks on me constantly, wants to make me comfortable, reminds me to take my meds, and is right by my side when I’m getting sick.  She’s been a rock.

These treatments are pretty hard on me.  Some of the side effects have been pretty brutal in comparison to the Interferon treatments.  I didn’t take in any food for 8 or 9 days and even then, the only thing I ate for 2 or 3 days was about 3 teaspoons of white rice.  I struggled to even keep liquids down.  This is starting to change and I got up this morning feeling like I REALLY wanted a bagel!  The other real bummer of a side effect has been the neuropathy that has developed in my forearms.  It started as pins and needles and moved into extreme muscle aches.  My left arm seems to have resolved, but I still have difficult straightening my right arm.  My hope is that this all resolves before I go back into the hospital and that it doesn’t have a cumulative effect with the next round.

Other than that, my strength is returning and I’ve been out of the house for a while each day.  I can now shower by myself, which is very exciting.  Having to ask for such basic help was quite humbling, but never an issue for anyone who helped.

I’ll try to check back in a few days, if not, you’ll hear from Mel or Mom again, I’m sure.  For everyone who has called or stopped by, thanks so much!  I’ve been so moved by everyone and I love the contact.  It lifts my spirits each time the phone rings! 

I try to leave most posts on a positive note…  want to see the best part about chemotherapy?  I have a picture….




2 responses to “Happy New Year Everybody

  1. Hi Heather,
    Thanks so much for posting today. You have been in my thoughts during this entire break, and I have been checking your site all of the time. I am so happy that your spirit is so bright despite all that you are going through. Your family sounds so wonderful, and I am so glad you are with them during this process. Stay positive and know that we are all thinking of you. I miss you, Heather. You are such an amazing person.

  2. Ooooh, who’s Dr. Hunky? Maybe he touched you inappropriately and you just don’t remember.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s